Historical Photograph of Entrance to Snoqualmie Pass Winter Sports Area.
This old photograph, from the early 1940's, shows the first ski run cleared at the Snoqualmie Summit Ski Area. This first ski hill was cleared and developed by the Civil Works Administration (CWA) in 1933, and was first operated by the Seattle Parks Department. The ski hill officially opened on January 21, 1934. The summit guard station shown in this photograph was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1939. The building still exists today, and is located behind the Forest Service Visitor Information Center. The ski area was expanded a few years later by clearing most of the hill slope shown in this photograph.Andrew Craig Magnuson
January 24, 2004