Cascade High Line 1909-1915

Cascade High Line 1909 - 1915
This image commemorates the Cascade high line, through Snoqualmie Pass, which closed 100 years ago this month. The Laconia railroad yard of the Chicago, Milwaukee & Puget Sound Railway was located at the summit of the Cascade high line through Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State. The Cascade high line ran for 9.1 miles through the Cascade Mountains between the railroad stations of Keechelus and Rockdale, before the completion of the 2.3-mile Snoqualmie Tunnel. By Snoqualmie Pass the high line looped about 172 degrees around a horseshoe curve that ran around the confluence of Commonwealth Creek with the South Fork Snoqualmie River. The degree of curvature of the horseshoe curve was 10 degrees per 100 feet, except the first and last 100 feet had a degree of curvature of half that amount. The main line between Laconia and Seattle was completed on February 3, 1909, using then between Maple Valley and Seattle leased trackage rights on the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad. The name Chicago, Milwaukee & Puget Sound Railway only lasted from 1909 through 1912 and then the Pacific Coast extension of the railroad also became known as the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway. January 1915 marked the transition from the Cascade high line to the Snoqualmie Tunnel line. The steep Cascade high line route through Laconia was eliminated when the more direct route through the 2.3-mile Snoqualmie Tunnel, between Hyak and Rockdale, opened for regularly scheduled train service on January 24, 1915.


Cascade High Line Commemoration - January 2015

<< BACK

HomeAndrew Craig Magnuson
Forks, Washington
January 15, 2015