This image by the Sol Duc Hot Springs Company dates from about 1913 and shows the
163-passenger S.S. Sol Duc which began operating in 1912. The S.S. Sol Duc was one of
the steamers of the Mosquito Fleet which provided early passenger ferry service around
Puget Sound and on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Over the years, the S.S. Sol Duc was
one of several passenger ferries which stopped regularly at Port Crescent. A road led
from the Port Crescent ferry landing on the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Lake Crescent.
Another ferry could then be taken the length of Lake Crescent to Fairholm at the west
end of the lake. At Fairholm a road began at the ferry landing which led to the
world-class Sol Duc Hot Springs Hotel. The elegant, four-story, Sol Duc Hot Springs
Hotel opened in 1912, but lasted for only four years before it burned down in 1916.
The S.S. Sol Duc was eventually acquired from the Puget Sound Navigation Company by
the U.S. Navy in 1942 and was later scrapped in 1948.