Olympic Peninsula, Washington
The Peninsular Railway Company in Washington State was incorporated in 1895, taking over the
main line in Mason County, from Shelton to Lake Nahwatzel, built by its predecessor the Washington
Southern Railway and by that company's predecessor the Satsop Railroad Company. The above scene,
photographed by 1907 shows Peninsular Railway No. 6, which was built a year or so earlier by
Baldwin Locomotive Works. Peninsular Railway No. 6 was a 2-6-2 “Prairie” locomotive,
having two pilot wheels, six driving wheels, and two trailer wheels, and was a wood burning steam
locomotive, as evidenced by the large balloon stack and the split firewood on the tender having
side racks. By the time the above scene was photographed, the Peninsular Railway had extended the
main line by present-day Matlock and into Grays Harbor County (then named Chehalis County).
Eventually the Peninsular Railway had about 50 miles of track, including main line and spurs.