History at Port Angeles
Clallam County, Washington
This historical scene of Port Angeles, Clallam County, Washington, was photographed in the early
1900's, looking north along Laurel Street. The port was originally named Puerto de Nuestra Señora
de los Ángeles by Spanish explorer Francisco de Eliza y Reventa in 1791. Several wagons can be seen
out in front of the Livery and Feed Stable, and City Fish Market, at the foot of the west side of the Morse
Dock. South of the City Fish Market is the 2½ -story Merchants Hotel, on the northwest corner of the
intersection of Laurel Street and Front Street. The Merchants Hotel was previously named the Olympian House.
The steamer ferry S.S. Whatcom can be seen heading east from the Morse Dock. The location of the Morse
Dock was filled in 1914 and it is now the landing for the ferry M.V. Coho, which goes to Victoria, Canada.
The Ediz Hook Lightstation buildings can also be seen in the upper right portion of the photograph, out
near the horizon.
This scene, photographed in 1906, is also looking north along Laurel Street, but from the street
level. Many of the same buildings can be seen in these first two photographs. Visible from left to right are
a blacksmith's shop, a steam laundry, a bazaar, the Merchants Hotel, the City Fish Market, a livery and
feed stable, the Morse Dock, a clothing store, and a shoe store. In 1906, Laurel Street was unpaved and
used more by horse drawn buggies and wagons than by automobiles.
This scene, photographed by 1910, is looking east along Front Street, from the southwest corner of
the intersection of Front Street and Laurel Street. The man shown near the right edge of the photograph
is walking across Laurel Street, which crosses Front Street in the foreground of this photograph.
When this scene was photographed, the downtown city streets were still dirt roads, and the sidewalks
were wooden boardwalks. Note the dog lying in the middle of Front Street. Times were
definitely much slower paced back then!
This scene, also photographed by about 1910, is looking east along Front Street. The parade is
likely a Flag Day celebration organized by the Port Angeles Elks Lodge No. 353. In 1907, the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (B.P.O.E.) was first to designate June 14 as Flag Day.
Over a half dozen American flags can be seen in this photograph, and some of the buildings along
the parade route are also decorated with pleated fan banners and bunting, undoubtedly in patriotic
red, white, and blue colors. The sign banner hanging over Front Street, at what appears to be
the start of the parade route, says “Naval Lodge B.P.O.E. 353”. The next sign
banner hanging over the parade route says “Ball Game Today 3 p.m. Tacoma -
Angeles”. The tall power pole shown to the right of the top center of the photograph is
on the northwest corner of the intersection of Front Street and Laurel Street. The Merchants
Hotel can also be seen on this same street corner. The two-story building with the awning,
across Laurel Street to the east from the Merchants Hotel, was at the time of the photograph,
the Kirschberg Clothing Company. The same clothing store can also be seen on the far left
side of the previous photograph.
Andrew Craig Magnuson
March 7, 2005